I write my resumes in Markdown. And they looked like garbage when rendered to docx and print. I knew CSS had print specific options. I didn’t know how to use them. Jekyll Assets covered part of it. The aha was I could include a theme’s css there too.

@import "minima";

.printable-post-content {
	@extend .post-content;
	@media print {
		font-size: 10.5pt;
	}
	h2 {
		@media print {
			font-size: 12pt;
			font-weight: bold;
		}
	}
	...
}
.printable-post-title {
	@extend .post-title;
	@media print {
		font-size: 18pt;
	}
}

And this brings back fond memories of writing papers in high school. We had a program that would take a file in IBM’s Document Composition Facility markup language and render proportional fonts with an IBM dot matrix printer. The font tweaking was separate from the headers and paragraphs.

And it was inspiration my senior year in high school. I was working. I was going to college part time. I was on the school newspaper. And I couldn’t keep up with typing in the articles. So, I wrote a DCF inspired program. It took MSDOS text files with a blank line between paragraphs. And it massaged it into Mac format text files with a paragraph per line. I put that and a text editor on several bootable diskettes. I handed the diskettes to the rest of the class. And I enjoyed horizontal scaling.

Getting the rendered text files to the Mac was still kludgy and took a lot of walking.

A final note. I had to include a second css file in my templates to make this work. My next experiment will be if assets/main.scss can let me skip that.